News roundup - Gary quit his job yesterday. I'm really happy about this because he's been telling me for a few weeks about all the heavy machinery breaking down & all the guys being pushed to get jobs done twice as fast as normal. A recipe for disaster - I was so worried something would happen to him at work. Anyway, he had enough of it and chucked it in. He was fretting about not working but I said he deserved a break, and anyway he's always in demand somewhere in town to help fix things so there will be plenty of work when he's ready. In the meantime it means we can have fun at bush camp!
I'm putting the house up for sale on June 1st - Dave hasn't had any luck getting a loan, but he's happy to finish tidying the place up for me for sale photos. He asked us if we wanted to adopt Red Dog - nooooooooo! I would LOVE to have Red Dog, who is Vincent & Bandit's brother, but there isn't an hour that goes by that I don't wince and think about our poor little cattle dog pups, and Gaz and I agreed that we just couldn't take any more cattle dog heartbreak. Dave & Ali are out at work all the time and Red Dog isn't coping with being on his own so much, but there will be someone local who can take him.
Smokey is working on how to take over the tree house. My bird feeder is attracting lots of lovely birds, including the bower bird, who makes the oddest noises. The other day one of its imitative sounds was someone washing in a sink! I'm not kidding! It also likes to do eagle calls, dog barking and something that sounds like a ratchet.
Next month we are off to Kalbarri National Park for a week-long fire brigade training course - there will be volunteer fire & rescue people from all over our part of the state. We did a practice run last week, setting up road crash rescue gear while wearing the full breathing apparatus kit for an hour. I cannot tell you how hot, sweaty and downright gruelling that is. Every minute you think, "OK, that's it, I can't take it anymore, I'm gonna puke or pass out" but you somehow keep going. Gary, Paul and Greg showed off towards the end by doing twenty push ups in full kit. Gary outdid the other two blokes by doing knuckle pushups with a clap in between - jesus! Then had to have a few Neurofen afterwards...
I taught myself to bake scones last week - don't tell Gaz, but they were gluten free! I was very pleased that they came out looking and tasting - surprisingly - just like scones. So I'm doing well in the outback hausfrau department, although I have drawn the line at changing 4WD tyres or having anything to do with the wretched ancient backup generator ("GARY! THE GENNY'S MAKING THAT NOISE AGAIN!"). Next week: lamb roast, if I can fight the grey nomads off the meat supply at the supermarket in time.
No comments:
Post a Comment