Wednesday, 3 July 2013

In No Particular Order...

Red Dog ate Matilda; Ethel, Dinner and Lunch have been adopted out to Jo the animal rescue lady, a seven year old aboriginal boy stole a car at Yulga Jinna and drove it 150 km to Meekatharra, then set fire to the footbridge, I've got Handyman Les getting Main Street ready to sell, Dave my former tenant has either been murdered by drug overlords or is in jail, Seamus is in hospital and Travis is dead as a result of falling asleep at the wheel one night south of Perth, Smokey is sitting in the actual fireplace and staring imperiously at Gary ("It is time to light the fire. Now."), lovely Roy Wijbenga is down in Perth getting me some paint and plants, we sold one of Gary's bikes to the legendary Henry Jones, who is seventeen feet tall and looks like something out of a bushwhacker movie, Gary has somehow made the 12 volt lighting & recharging system so complicated that I have to ask him to turn anything on, we now have 9 generators, none of which are working properly, and I am teaching Reese's 12 year old daughter Harmony how to make gluten-and-sugar-free healthy muffins.

Most exciting of all is that we may be taking over Greg's rubbish service - we'll be the town garbage collectors! I knew that 8 years of tertiary education and 20 years as a crack production manager would eventually pay off. Greg & Tamika have saved up their bucks and wants to relocate to a southern country area with their kids & build a new house in the next year or so, so we have to sit down with them and negotiate the sale & schedule.

It's a council contract, 3 years at a time, and is worth something like $250,000 per year. Greg had asked Gaz a while ago about it, but we didn't give it much thought until Chris from Paddy's sat us down and gave us a big gee-up (he does their accounting and has an in with the council). I'm kind of like Chris's personal production manager & googler, plus he's old mates with Gaz. He said if we can't walk away from it with at least a hundred grand in our pockets by the end of the first contract we're idiots. Chis is a very successful businessman, and has offered to help us out any way he can to do it - he even offered Gary an interest-free loan for it, which is very generous. Madness! I don't think we'll need a loan, but I gave Chris a huge hug for the offer.

Anyway, the great thing is that it's six days a week, from about 6:30 am to noon, and it's dead easy. Gary will be the Head Garbo and I'll be the pickup assistant & paperwork monkey. I know Greg does well out of it. We'll see what happens! Meanwhile, I need to go and get ready for the roadhouse, I've had two days off so I've probably forgotten everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment