Monday, 11 February 2013

A Quick Bit Of Production Managing

So after a big few weeks of intensive budget meetings and corporate planning strategies, Gary and I have successfully negotiated our domestic gross infrastructure plan, which I have informally entitled "Just Keep Working Until You Die Or I Tell You To Stop", which Gary is happy with. We should be able to retire in five years as long as we follow our budget plan, which includes (a) not spending any money on anything, ever, (b) eating dog food, and then (c) eating the dogs.

Anyway, last week we finally got fed up with Gary's old car, which is slowly going on strike by falling apart bit by bit. The air con dying was the last straw, so I got on the internet and found a Landcruiser 4x4 for sale up in Port Hedland, organised a mobile mechanic to look at it & test drive it, then found a freight service to bring it down on Wednesday this week. Locals were highly impressed that I managed to organise the whole thing via the internet. We'll all be even more impressed if an actual car turns up on Wednesday. Doh!

So the next part of our household plan is to get rid of some of the 937 vehicles we appear to have stored in sheds and lying around the compound yards. And I'm putting the bus up for sale! Oh my god! But it's ridiculous paying rego and insurance etc on a bunch of vehicles that we hardly ever use. Also, no matter which way we measure it, Gary is too long to fit in the bus, except on the roof rack.

To continue what could be my most boring blog entry ever, I also ordered our solar panels and turbolator inverterlometer and other crap that allegedly turns the sun into electricty, a 12 volt fridge to replace the energy-sucking beasts we currently use, and a gas hot water heater for Main Street. It's brilliant what you can get on the internet! The most exciting thing is that we can soon reduce our genny use and stop paying for all that fuel (it's very expensive up here). We gave up trying to understand any of the asshole solar people and just ordered components which we feel confident Gary can bash together with a hammer, wrench and his genius for making things work.

Anyway, hopefully by this time next year we'll be off the grid, with me happily cooking dinner over an open fire pit in the 45 degree heat, scraping lizard hides for our shoes and whittling Landcruiser spare parts out of discarded mine pallets.


No comments:

Post a Comment