It's too funny. One guy looked at another guy the wrong way at the Royal Mail Hotel the other night and before you knew it a good ol' fashioned pub brawl erupted. Gary and I were both disappointed to have missed out - the rule out here is if there's a pub fight, ya gotta go help your mates (you just leave your teeth, glasses, smokes and beer on the bar, Micho will keep an eye on them). I have yet to test my pub fightin' skills, but at least I am aware of the basic rules: (a) take it outside, (b) fists only, and (c) no bustin' up the furniture.
Anyway, it's hilarious because now half the blokes in town are going in and out of the court offices for their summonses looking all sorry for themselves with black eyes and bandaged hands. Court day is good entertainment, because you see all your mates waiting out front wearing their one good shirt and everyone waves cheerfully as we pass each other. Michelle from the aged care hostel staff, who's a bit rough, also had a bandaged hand but claims it's from something else - I can all too easily imagine her holding her own out the front of the Royal. I don't know about Amy, one of the hotel owners, who is skilled at jumping the bar and settling disputes with her fists. I have so many great female role models to look up to out here.
Our Landcruiser finally turned up in the middle of the night on the road train and we are very happy with it. It's a BEAST. Gary is busy putting extra spotlights and a winch god knows what on it. My job is to decorate it with one of our goat skulls. It has a two-way radio which Gaz has set to the road works channel so I can talk to him while I'm driving around or locate him if I'm bringing the blokes some morning tea (lamb & gravy rolls from the corner store). With the Landcruiser we now look 100% local (they're the outback vehicle of choice).
SJ, the stray Korean, got Andrew, our local tattooist, to decorate the side of his shaved head with a wild looking design and the words "Meekatharra Forever"! I was admiring it at the supermarket where SJ works, I'll have to take a photo. Guess he's planning to stay! I wonder if he's brushed up on his pub fightin' skills yet. Maybe someone can set up a community course.
No comments:
Post a Comment