Friday, 6 July 2012

Other Creatures

Gary saw a huge red kangaroo on the way to work this morning - about 6 feet tall! We also saw a kangaroo rat in the car headlights last night - like a gerbil, running for its life.

We haven't seen the emu gangs for a while, but there are heaps of little birds coming round to the camp. Because no one's out ginging them, they're practically tame - a little wagtail came over to my chair while I was having a coffee, and just hung around by my feet for a few minutes.

There are three butcher birds who have pretty much moved in - two parents and a juvenile. They sit on the fence and hop closer to check me out when I sit down. They keep stealing Ethel's food. All around the camp are these tiny little birds which I haven't been able to get a good look at - they are TINY, like little cotton balls hopping around. Like the other birds, they come and hang around if I stop moving, and follow me to see what I've uncovered as I pull rubbish out from the bush thickets.

I keep finding bungarra and snake holes all over the place, another reason for clearing the rubbish away and making the bush thickets more defined rather than having everything drifting into our activity areas. The big pest is cows! They trample everything and lean on the fences. We haven't had any round yet, but there are hoofprints all over the place. Hmm, fresh steaks...

So I think that once we get the wind turbine up and stop using the generator, we'll be getting lots of interesting visitors - I'll have to set up a bird watering spot. It'll be just like a charming English garden, except with a roo carcass pit for the eagles.

No comments:

Post a Comment