Apparently quite a few locals heard me on the ABC radio and said I was hilarious and "a natural", so next thing I know Kev from Meeka FM tells Gary to tell me they'd like me to co-host Kev's morning show and "tell us all about yourself". It was a crackup. I went in this morning and in between questions Kev got me to do the music selections. First up was "Me Old Cattle Dog" by Slim Dusty, dedicated to Honey and Red Dog, then I got on a roll with "this one is dedicated to my wonderful, wonderful handsome personal motorcycle mechanic, Gary Hammer," with "Stand By Your Man", followed by "Ring Of Fire", dedicated to "Gary's lovely son Matt, for stinking out our toilet at home", and wrapping up with Slim Dusty (we're big on Slim Dusty in Meeka) singing "Star Trucker" for my "handsome personal Star Trucker, Gary Hammer, this one's for you honey!!".
Kev got me to do a bit of a promo for the local fire brigade and I ended up criticising our local tendency to run girls' extracurricular self-esteem programs which focus on hair and beauty, and exhorted them to join the brigade instead. "Forget about what you look like! Be a firefighter! Be the Prime Minister! If I can do it, anyone can!" Kev was in fits of laughter, then asked me if I could come and do my own show every week. Ha ha! As if I have time. But if I do, it will be called Red Dog's Hour Of Power and will have lots of barking and mayhem, plus Slim Dusty.
Meeka FM is on 98.3 and has about 5 listeners. The broadcast range is about 450 metres from the radio station, which is an old donger behind the state emergency services shed.
No comments:
Post a Comment