Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Just Check If He's Breathing And Give Him Food

Gary watched TV for nearly two days straight last weekend due to the fact that the Bathurst car race was on. By my estimate he watched cars going round and round and round for approximately 19 hours. At first he tried to enthuse me with comments such as "Look, it's Snottarotti in the lead, see that? he's got a bored out 192 in that thing, reeeeeeeeeeennnnnn, hear that noise? that's the double barrel inhurstalator you don't get those on the new models because OH FUCK HIS FLUGELATOR'S LOCKING UP HE'S GONNA oh no he's all right, wait, you gotta watch this, ya gotta..." (fades in distance as I wander off)

Bathurst is on once a year and I realised immediately that Gary would be incomprehensible and screen-locked all weekend, so I just carried on with my gardening and bush rambling with the dogs, and checked on Gary every few hours to exercise his slowly-atrophying limbs and put a dish of food in front of him to soak up the coke & bourbon. I tried to be supportive and gain some insight into how the race generates so much intense excitement, but was only able to offer sadly-lacking comments such as "Gosh they're going fast" and "Don't they get bored going round and round?".

Fortunately the race is over but now he's working on the motorcycles and moped in the living room and coming over every half hour or so to show me the inner workings of a piston or a gimble or something. Last night I ended up googling translations of German wiring instructions for a Chinese quad bike. Please send help.

No comments:

Post a Comment