Monday, 15 October 2012

Logging, Outback Style

The poor old gidgie tree got the chop today - Funky, Scotty and Brian came out with the BIG tower crane and chainsaws. We also took out the big eucalyptus at the front gate, as it was cracking in the middle and about to come down on the cars. A shame, as both trees were big oldtimers providing lots of shade, but I'd rather be hot than squashed under tons of hardwood when the cyclone season comes through. The gidgie would have been about five hundred years old! I felt like apologising to it, or banging drums & chanting or something. "O Great Gidgie, Provider Of Shade, We The People Celebrate Your Spirit and----GET OUT OF THE WAY, CHAINSAW COMIN' THROUGH YEEEEEHAAAAAHHHH!!!"

It was very exciting and Funky managed to drop the ginormous branches down without damaging a single plant in the garden. Gary and I went and got another big crane from Gaz's workshop so they can take the really monster sections of the gidgie out tomorrow morning, then Gary's going to put a deck up on the cut-through forks for my tree house!

Meanwhile, I finished The Eyesore (including a big outdoor bed made out of pallets) and cleaned out the Poooool which was full of dirt and debris from a big willy-willy (mini tornado) which went through the other day, so Gary and I finished our hot busy day with a lovely wallow in the fresh cool water. The weather is getting hot now so we're sleeping outside in The Eyesore. In the evening the bat comes and flits over the water, catching insects. We have a beautiful big yellow stripy lizard living in the bathroom, and geckos keep dropping off the ceiling onto the coffee table. Frogs have taken over the toilet shed and I have to pick them up off the toilet seat, because I can tell you from personal experience that sitting on a frog in the dark on your bare ass is not a nice feeling.



before...



almost all gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment