Sunday, 16 December 2012

A Close Call

Oh god, we got home last night from one of the seven hundred Christmas barbecues to hear this strange whimpering noise from the side yard; we'd locked the dogs in the entrance yard area, so we were perplexed. Gary went to investigate and found Vincent IN THE POOL. He was hanging on to the edge of the pool by his front paws, his back feet just touching the bottom, just able to keep his head above the water. Gary hauled him out and I wrapped him in a big towel, bursting into tears. He was shivering and crying but otherwise OK  - I snuggled him up with me to get him warm. We don't know how long he was in there, I was so upset. The puppies had managed to make a tiny gap in the back fence by the chook pen and get themselves around to the pool that way, so Gary's gone and sealed it off so they can't do it again. Jesus. I'm going to drain the pool until we can find a way to seal it off. Anyway he's fine now, back to gnawing on the dead horse and racketing around with the others.

The storm season is here, getting hotter and hotter and steamier and steamier, yuck. The desert is bursting into life and my pumpkin plants are devouring the shed. Turns out we don't have many bees out here to pollinate the pumpkins, I have to go out and do it by hand with a paintbrush! We have small stingless native bees, but I need to plant things that will attract them.

I'm melting. Back to the air conditioner.


No comments:

Post a Comment