Next to them is another ginormous caravan combo; as I stroll past with Honey, Mrs. Caravan is grimly setting up a satellite dish that is taller than a person. Men are fuelling up generators. There is much hard core grey nomad efficiency as people rush to get their TV's powered & tuned before the sun goes down.
But generally people are really nice and there's lots of socialising, mostly about our various travel experiences & equipment, and where we're heading next. There are mystical mutterings about Broome; everyone is fed up with the unexpected rain & cold that's been dogging everyone since Adelaide, and I can tell that soon I'll be caught up in the mad exodus north to Cable Beach.
The men can be really funny. No matter where you say you went or where you say you're thinking of going, it's wrong. "Nah, you don't wanna go there. Go to blah blah woop woop, great fishin." I'll mention some other place and get "Nah! No fishin there. Maybe some crabbin. You wanna go to blahdyblah, we stayed there for a month. Crabs everywhere. Filled the freezer."
Anyway you get the idea.
![]() |
| Living mounds of seaweed make their sinister way towards the camp |
![]() |
| The view from my house |
![]() |
| Home! First full day of sun in 3 weeks. |



No comments:
Post a Comment