Monkey Mia. Jason & I get up at sunrise to go watch the dolphin feeding tourist thing. There's a strong cold wind blowing but the dolphins turn up and it's quite cute. It's all females with their calves; the babies are leaping out of the water & acting like fools while the mums cruise up and down in the shallows just a metre from us, checking us out as we stand shivering in the waves. Jason & I look at each other and say "Tick! Done!" & head back to our campsite.
Our next door neighbours are young idiots from Sydney who turn their horrid thumping music on at full blast. Like a cranky old nana I tell them to turn it down and we get revenge by firing up our dirty old diesel engines on, blowing smoke into their campsite. This quickly flushes them out of the campground. Excellent!
Jason has whale shark fever so he's off on the big drive to Exmouth. I plan to stay at Monkey Mia for a few days but when I ask about unpowered sites all they have is a big jam packed car park - pretty poor. So it's off to Denham to dump the toilet & then on to Fowlers Camp, a free site halfway back to Hamelin Pool. While I'm in Denham poor Jason rings up to tell me he's now got some engine trouble (oil leak) & to ask if I can keep an eye out on the road if I'm passing by. Then Duncan rings up from Overlander Roadhouse where's he's working today. "I'm a wreck! I miss you! Come back!" Always the production manager, I quickly transfer my diesel mechanic love credits on to Jason in exchange for Jason providing freebie camping at Exmouth (he's in the travel industry with mates up there) while still being able to take advantage of kangaroo steaks & the fishing tinny at Hamelin Pool.
Having made my male entourage happy, I'm off to Fowlers Camp for the night. Bliss!
No comments:
Post a Comment