Tuesday, 22 May 2012

Farewell To A Good Old Chook

Ohhh...I found poor little Henrietta sitting behind the house looking very poorly and crying to herself, so I said "OK old girl, time to go", and got the axe. I wrapped her securely in a tea towel and blindfolded her before doing the deed on the old log. It was quick. I gave her a decent burial in the chook yard by the pond. Now poor Ethel is all lonely and a bit confused! She gave me a suspicious look tonight along the lines of "I suppose I'm next" and I placated her with some rock melon. Thank you for the eggs and the companionship Henrietta, and I hope there are lots of fruit treats in Chicken Heaven.

Just as I finished my earlier blog, the phone went off with another call-out! The text said "Fire at house" but when Paul, Cam and I got there it was just some chipbark mulch burning in the front garden, probably from a cigarette being tossed over the fence. Cam whipped out the side reel hose and put it out. Quite a few aboriginal people and kids were standing around just watching it burn - any one of them could have grabbed a bucket of water and put it out without all the drama like any normal person might do, but no, it's easier to stand around in a daze with no idea and watch the white people come and fix it. Again.

Elapsed time from alarm on phone to station return: 16 minutes. The guys are starting to get a bit envious of my skirt-change technique (pull pants on under skirt, whip skirt off, ready to go and not sweating under two layers of trousers). But it balances out, because they all have shaved heads (that's the style in Meeka) and I have to jam my pelt under my helmet where it sits there like a thick, furry badger.

This weekend a bunch of us are off to Geraldton for a Pump Operations training course, which I suspect will be a kind of advanced Aspberger's experience. The state fire authority pays for everything, including our fuel, and puts us up in fancy digs on the beach, with a bar and a pool. But we will be too tired from trying to remember how to couple BIC connector A to non-BIC receptor C via secondary pump modulator regulator regurgitator B unless BAR pressure is less than 6.5 amplipores in which case revert to Procedure 675.34 (7) (a), or just ask Gary to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment