Well we went to visit George this afternoon and have a proper look at the bush compound; it was Gary's first time inside, and I used him as conversation bait while I sticky-beaked around the place. George lost no time in cornering Gary in the toilet shed with an extremely detailed explanation of the float contraption he's made out of twenty mill something or others but they're not the right size and it doesn't fill up properly except sometimes it does if you fiddle the home made lever a certain way like this here have a go mind the frogs I'll fix it all up for you of course.... I wandered off to look at the sky and the sunset, with George's voice slowly fading in the background.
It's just beautiful; surrounded by jacarandas and old gidgie trees, bush and desert. Gary fell in love with it instantly of course; we managed to keep George moving along to show us what seems to be the 27 sheds which make up the compound. George is the sweetest old bloke, a good hearted person. Gary and I were in fits, trying to contain giggles as George, who didn't stop talking the whole time, said "You'll love the peace and quiet out here." He likes the idea of living in the caravan and even picked out a spot which, thank GOD, is on the other side of the generator shed, safely out of view and conversation range. I asked him how he thought he would feel living there with us making changes and taking over "his" place, and he said he was happy with it.
The compound, or our "personal Waco" as Polly is calling it, is basically a collection of sheds inside a large square fence, surrounded by trees, and with a lovely shade verandah thing wrapped around the back and one side. As you walk in the back gate, there's a toilet shed and a bathroom shed on the left. The bathroom shed has a home-made Roman bathtub in it! Straight ahead is the main shed, which is the big open lounge/kitchen with a fantastic old stone fireplace. There's also a big long bedroom at one end and a smaller bedroom sort of tacked on on the other side. You step out of this shed into the shade verandah, and on the left is another big shed, which will be mine. Behind that is a big stone pond. On the other side of the main building is a big garage shed which will be Gary's motorcycle cave. Outside the compound, about 75 metres away, is the generator shed. With my bus, Gary's caravan, George's caravan and possibly also an old donger from the truck yard, there will be ample luxurious guest accommodation; I'm sure you are all googling airfares as I write.
We're both delighted to have found it; it's rough as dog's guts but charming and comfortable. The best thing is that it's secluded and you feel like you're miles from anything, but town is just a few kilometres down the track. We're talking with George this week about the purchase details, and should be moving in by the end of the month - I'm so excited to have even more projects and a whole new set of insects to live with. We must be out of our minds.
No comments:
Post a Comment