Oh man, I spoke too soon - Boy ran out while I was moving the bus out of the driveway, and he must have charged at a road train that was barrelling up Main Street (they speed up once they pass the pub). It was quick. I couldn't see him, then saw his body rolling to a stop through the wheels of the last trailer. It was terrible. But he wouldn't have felt a thing, it got him straight on. I kept myself together long enough to get a blanket and hold it out in front of me as I retrieved him (I didn't want to see what he looked like, it wasn't good), wrapping him up and carrying him in the wheelbarrow, sobbing.
Poor silly Boy! He was such a good mate, but we've always said he'd get himself into strife one day, whether it was chasing trucks, snakes or falling in a hole - I couldn't tie him up because you'd look around and he'd be half strangled, hooked up on god knows what or tied in knots, and no matter how we tried to keep him in, he'd find a way to barrel out the gate or over the fence the second you weren't looking. At least his last months were happy, especially compared to the hell he went through as a puppy.
But god he was such a gorgeous loving dog, I'm heartbroken. Already the house feels wrong without him crashing around & shoving his slobbery nose against my leg. He had no common sense, but he gave a thousand times more love than he ever got, defended me against Mark the plumber, and he always tried his best to be a Good Dog.
Farewell Boy - I'll always think of you riding shotgun beside me in the bus, grinning and woofing, just happy to be by my side.

No comments:
Post a Comment