Sunday, 9 September 2012

A Pair Of Comfy Old Socks

Not to brag or anything, but jeez my life is just about perfect! Just had the first swim of the season in The Pooooool, my plants are growing, the chooks are all peacefully destroying the garden, we got a heap of good timber and plant pots at the tip, and Gary is making an awesome extension to the car shed.

He is such a good man - he'll never bring me flowers or love poems, but he'll come home with an beautiful slab of railway timber or a tree stump shaped like a cactus and say "Here, I figured you'd like this", then later in the evening I'll wander out to hang up the washing and he'll have put a big worklight out by the clothes line for me. He asked me to write down a big list of everything I want him to do around the house, which I did, but then I said he should do something he wants to do for himself (he's always helping me and other people), so he's doing up the car shed to make space for working on his motorbikes while I work on the bush fences (and cook, clean & do laundry...)

Every day I feel like I won the lottery - it's amazing to have a partner to help me and share outback life with; Gary's gotten over all his worries that I'll ditch him or that he's not good enough, and he's really thriving and putting a lot into our relationship. It's been a big learning curve for me as well - I seem to have gotten over my own fears and expectations of disaster, and am getting used to having another person in my home life (not easy!). We seem to have found a good balance between doing our own things while looking after each other; I always know that with Gary, our relationship comes first - haven't had that before! So even though we live in a shed and are perpetually grubby and living on sausages, we're each happier than we've ever been in our lives - running away from home was worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment