Saturday, 8 September 2012

Pleep Pleep Pleep

I promise to put up some baby chook photos soon. They are SO CUTE! Mama hen, who I've named Matilda, is a great mom. I caught the fourth chick after it spent a pleeping night on its own in the leaves on Ethel's side of the compound, and returned it to its happy family - they've decided to make a home next to the bath shed for some reason. Matilda makes a dust bowl to sit in, and all the chicks weasel in under her. Then their little heads pop out from Matilda's feathers - she looks like a five-headed chicken, it's the funniest thing to watch! Their heads pop in and out, it looks crazy. At least one will ride around on Matilda's back. They're all very curious and active, and the chicks love it when I turn the garden hose on - they come running to play in the sprinkling water. They have a tray of water but the hose is the big deal.

Ethel kind of wanders nearby but none of them seem too interested or concerned about each other, I was worried there might be a big peck-off but so far so good. Smokey stalked the chicks for a while, then got bored. Honey wants to chase them; we've fenced her off from their area. Gary is just relieved that we managed to get back from Ken's without me sneaking a baby pig, some ducks and a puppy into my carry bag (it was a close call). We haven't got names for the chicks, but if any of them is a rooster, its name will be "Dinner".

No comments:

Post a Comment