My native plant nursery and prickly security fence are coming along well (photos soon). Gardening in the outback is a bit like going on a dangerous safari. Clearing out all the waist-high weeds from around the compound fence, eeeee, ewwww....lizards, snakes, giant (I mean like totally HUGE) spiders...no prancing around in clogs and a sun bonnet here. I go in armed with a flynet over my face, cowboy hat over that, thick leather gloves, gaiters, big boots. I just hope all the annoyed wildlife that I've disturbed isn't heading for the house as I speak.
I use the word "house" lightly of course - there is no disguising it as anything but a large tin shed. We had a big tidy up but instead of decorating, we used the nice clear space to set up the first of the motorcycle projects, so I feel like we're living in a slightly comfy garage. Gary is deep in the guts of the Puch, muttering to me about volts and generators and wiring diagrams while I pretend to pay attention. I haven't been able to talk him into sleeping outdoors, but I have a great little sleepout area set up ("Bush Camp 2") about 250 metres away in an area I call the kangaroo paddocks, it looks like Africa. Honey and I go and sleep out there a couple of nights a week, it's divine. I take my mobile phone with me so Gary and I can call for help if one of us is attacked by a mouse or something in the night.
No comments:
Post a Comment