Saturday, 16 June 2012

Google, And Ye Shall Receive

After looking at ridiculously expensive domestic hot water systems, I found these terrific instantaneous gas systems made in Australia for caravans - I got a big one and a small one, for just $550 bucks including delivery all the way to Meeka! The instruction books have been translated from English to Japanese and then back to English. Gary read them out for me: "Upon digging a hole in wall adjusting for size feeling of element, consider the air window" (I'm not making that up). Abandoning the instructions, Gary got the kit connected AND WE HAVE HOT WATER!!!! Gary put an old bathtub from Steve's garden into the Roman Bath Pit so it's kind of civilised. The smaller heater is going in the kitchen. They run off a gas bottle, which will last for ages.

We've had a busy day at the camp, ripping out the rest of the hideously filthy rotting carpets off the concrete floor, finishing the back door, digging out the monstrously enormous horror succulent ugly plant/tree/triffid which was consuming the bath house, carrying (literally) bucketfuls of dirt out from the rooms, angle grinding things and removing the thousands of tiny bits of wire and string that George has used to tie everything in sight to something else, god what was he thinking???? While cleaning behind the kitchen drawers, I found an old heroin spoon (bent at an angle for cooking the powder), so naturally we're wondering where the heroin itself is hidden. We haven't seen any mice for a while, so maybe they ate it and are lying in their mouse holes, blitzed out of their tiny minds.

Gary has turned into Mr. Can-Do Provider, it's a real treat for me! I'm working hard as well, but he likes to do all the tool/bloke kind of work as well as lifting, carrying and helping me with heavy stuff when he sees me wrestling with it. My jobs today included cooking things with eggs (we need to go shopping...) and washing our clothes by hand in the wash house sink, plus writing the news page for the hostel for the local rag and finishing off next month's Junior Reporter story. I abandoned cleaning George's old bedroom when I brushed the broom across the ceiling and narrowly missed getting electrocuted by an exposed live wire - it sparked on the bristles and I dropped it immediately. Gary's working his way through the place, pulling out old wiring and making it safe.

Old Guy Bell, the retired spitfire pilot, dropped in for a visit. In true Meeka tradition, he carried his mini-esky in one hand with his beer inside (you bring your own when visiting). We chatted about 12 volt wiring systems and car batteries and how Guy re-laid a water pipe just after the war or something. Me, Gary and funny old men - what is it???

Well, here are some more photos for you to look at while I google chainsaws.

Old bathtub in the Roman Bath Pit,
with the fancy new gas hot water heater!   !!!!!

Who cares about mod cons when this is the view at sunset every day -
that's the fenceline & jacaranda tree of the camp on the right

The "kitchen" half of the shed - chaos reigns

Fire comes out of his ass! Gary making frame for the back door

The back of the wash house / bathroom -
ramshackle George projects litter the yard

Gary propping up the dodgy old drainage pipes

No comments:

Post a Comment