Friday, 1 June 2012

Like A Flaming Pork Chop

I think our town motto should be "Meekatharra - What The Hell Is Going On?"

I was about to start an exciting morning of mulching the garden when the phone rang - the Tasmanians had suddenly packed their bags and were about to leave town forever! I raced down to Patreen & Damien's and bid them a mutually teary farewell, thenh time I had to rush off to pick up George so we could meet Gary at the post office and sign over the bush camp (Russell at the post office is a combined notary public, banking service, government form provider and many, many other things).

That all went well, then George mentioned that he'd skinned his big toe while in Geraldton and asked if I could drop him off at the hospital to have it checked; I had to renew some prescriptions so we went together and hung out in the waiting room, where I went into a self-induced protective coma as George rambled on and on and on and on. Finally we got our appointments; next thing I know, Anne, the head nurse, races past me saying "We'll be flying George out to Royal Perth Hospital this afternoon." Whaaaat?? I bolted into emergency, and there was George with not one but TWO gangrenous horror toes - they have to amputate!! It's a result of his diabetes, he's been having problems with them before apparently. Then the phone rings again - can I come and cover the afternoon shift at the hostel?

So back in the bus, race off to the bush camp, grab George's clothes and meds, race home, get changed for work, give George his stuff, tell him I'll sort out his phone bill and things, race over to the truck yard, give Gary the bush camp keys, race back to work, tell the gals all the gossip, then finally sit down for some lunch and a bracing cup of coffee.

So poor old George! At least he knows we're looking after the bush camp now, lord knows when he'll be back in Meeka. He'll have to go into respite care, which is probably a good thing as he's been living out at the camp with no heat or power for several weeks, it's crazy.

Anyway, I'm about to head out to the bush camp now - Gary's already there with the fireplace going, cooking steaks, and we're going to sleep out in the swags. Bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment