Well things are carrying on as usual here in Meekatharra (town motto: "We're Confused Too"), with no one really sure what's happening but going ahead with it anyway.
George's toes have been saved by the miracle of modern antibiotics; he arrives back in Meeka tomorrow (how? when? no one knows) and we've got his room ready at the hostel respite area. When he's ready to shift out of respite I'm putting him up at my house, he can't manage in a caravan. Then we just have to wait for someone to die at the hostel. Judging by this week's schedule, it might be me, as we are now short of staff again and it's a madhouse. I'm on full time until we can kidnap some more workers, but that's OK as the extra money will pay for our groovy off-grid gas hot water heater and the intense valium addiction I intend to develop as a way of looking so droolingly stupid so that no one asks me to do anything.
Despite all the chaos, cold water and inconveniences, we are really loving the bush camp life. Last night was a full moon, so before bedtime we all went for a moonlight walk in the bush - me, Gary, Honey, and Smokey. Smokey is full of beans, invigorated by the wildness of the place, and has caught one mouse, which he carefully placed in front of Gary. "There - that's what had you screaming like a girl last night big fella. Hmpf." "Don't you want to eat it?" asked Gary. Smokey just turned his back and walked off with a flick of his tail.
At dinner time, we got a visit from our friend Paul and his dog Dibbs - he's in the brigade as well (Paul, not Dibbs). He loves the place too, I think we'll be getting lots of visitors. He saw three red kangaroos on the way in on our track! I can't wait to get on to solar so we can shut off the generator and let the animals come close (well, the nice ones, not the snakes, centipedes, foxes, ravening bungarras, wild pigs, wild dogs, Wiluna mob etc).
Today's delirious entertainment was going to the tip with the chainsaw and cutting up a ute load of hardwood for the firewood stack. Then we ate greasy chicken from the roadhouse because I am on cooking strike until Gary brings the fridge back inside from the other shed (don't ask). We should be working on getting the water running to the kitchen sink again but have been far too busy with more important things like getting TV reception. I've discovered a tiny internet spot outside in the courtyard next to the wood pile, so that's where I'm blogging from - it's quite pleasant. Is that something slithering up my leg? Because if it is I aieeEEEEEEEEE
No comments:
Post a Comment