Monday, 16 April 2012

A Rare Find

After much googling, chatting on the Moped Army web forum, emailing and examining tiny tiny little Austrian fine print on the chassis ("Istferbikenschlagenhoffen lumpenischnachtig modelgerfargerbergereich Puch Maxi S tortenapplestrudelheidi", which translated means "this is a Puch Maxi S"), it turns out that I may have quite a rare moped on my hands! Gary just seems to have an eye for these things, I don't know how he does it.

So. I posted a photo of it on the Moped Army site and asked if anyone knew much about it. A fellow in Iowa (!!!) said it looks like I have an Australian version of the 1976 Puch Maxi S Nostalgia; there weren't many made, and they only came out in that year. Already one of my stunt buddies on facebook wants to buy it. I then found a photo of the same model bike, which confirms that yes I have a collector's item on my hands, and definitely in original condition (no one's painted or modified it).

I've found a mob in Perth who supply Puch restoration parts - it just needs a new seat, throttle cable, tyres and centre stand, plus Gary's mechanical skills to give it a good going over with a spanner. A bit of chrome polish work and a bath and it will be ready to show off. I've ordered a very cool helmet & goggles, then just need to find the right groovy retro jacket & boots, because after all, even if it's 45 degrees and your internal organs are shutting down from the heat in all that leather, you want to look cool.

that's what it used to look like

No comments:

Post a Comment