Once again daily life in Meeka beats fiction hands down. The men here carry on like a soap opera! Gary loves to come home and tell me the latest complicated male carry-on; last night it went something like this:
"Coxy came up from Gero to see Norm about the lease on the mechanical business but Richard said Norm was out of town and then Norm rang to say he'd see Coxy at Paddy's in the afternoon but didn't get there until the evening and by then Coxy was on the piss so Norm only stayed for ten minutes, then Coxy got the shits with Norm and said to stuff the business up his arse, then Ronnie turned up talking about whether he should buy the assault rifle Bob the trucker had hidden in his cab bunk and they all got on the piss, then at midnight Coxy got a text about some emergency with his grandkids down in Gero so he drove all the way back after having had 19 cans of beer which pissed Chris off and Coxy told him to get fucked, then Coxy rings me this morning to say he tried to call Chris to say sorry but Chris told him to get fucked and hung up, then Chris rang me to whinge about Coxy, then Coxy rang Norm and said he would take on the lease and Norm told him to get fucked then said OK mate, then Coxy rang me again and said could I ring Chris and explain the situation and tell him he's sorry mate and I told him to get fucked."
I just started giggling, then asked Gary what the hell it is with the blokes out here, carrying on like chooks over the silliest things. "It's all the testosterone," explained Gary helpfully.
Anyway, I gave up trying to make sense of any of it and just got on with making Gaz's sandwiches for work. I wrap each one in foil; Gary always wants to know what's in them, so I said I'd write it on each package for him. "Roast Wildebeeste", "Pureed Squid", "Choc-Mint Axolotl" and "Thinly Sliced Ocelot" are recent sandwich appellations. The guys at work always want to see what silly name I've come up with when Gaz turns up at the truck shed.
In other bloke news, one of the local guys has been literally run out of town for messin' with someone's teenage daughter and is hiding out in the wilds behind Peak Hill, with various guys furtively bringing him cases of grog and cigarettes from town. Another bloke has been accused of stealing Cam's boat which Cam got from Scotty which Scotty said he found at the side of the road but some other bloke reckons it's his, and Cam's asked Gary to go to the first bloke's place to pretend he's gone to collect some dirt bikes he lent him which his wife then lent to someone's kids and find out if he's got the boat and also Dave's sledgehammer which went missing from the work yard when Ronnie was working there and---
Oh, I can't keep up.
No comments:
Post a Comment