Tuesday, 7 August 2012

Don't Make Him Laugh

Poor Gary! His eggplant-coloured testicles are the talk of the town. I ran into Paul at the roadhouse and got him to come round to cheer Gaz up. Gary offered to show Paul his testicles but Paul said he'd had a vasectomy and knew exactly what they looked and felt like, so we just watched Dr. Who instead. Gaz is trying to joke and keep a positive attitude, but it hurts if he laughs and he's so sore he can hardly get up off the sofa. I'm a bit concerned that he's still in so much pain five days after the surgery, and I'm taking him to the hospital tomorrow to get it checked out.

On top of looking after my bloke, we are flat out at the hostel with our community care clients - it's been a merry go round all week with me hurling disabled clients in and out of the crappy white van, wrestling with all kinds of dodgy old roller-walkers, wheelchairs, canes, spare legs (!) and bags of medications. Today I went to get Mark from the infernal pensioners flats - not only is he deaf, he's diabetic, has one lower leg amputated, just had three toes on the remaining foot amputated, is stuck in a wheelchair and living in a revolting filth pit with no water (they destroyed the plumbing last month). While I was helping him find his spare clothes I discovered a packet of raw meat in his BED. I managed to extricate his clothes and spare leg without throwing up, and took him to the hostel for a shower. All of this was accompanied by our usual Three Stooges sign language improvisations while fending off other pensioners flats residents (and their dogs) trying to rummage through the van for any left over meals on wheels treats ("You got im spare lunch miss?").

Somehow I have managed to find enough spare time to plant out a big garden bed around the northwest side of the camp, build a rudimentary work table and shelves out of rusty tin cans and old planks, organise a possible dog adoption (Spot, a terrier who needs a home) and - incredibly - get some sleep.

Maybe the most efficient thing would be to move Gary into the aged care hostel...

No comments:

Post a Comment