Gary's had his cyst out and is now trapped for the night in a public ward with a sad Indian and a heroin addict who keeps talking loudly using Bad Language on his mobile phone inbetween shouted requests to the nurses for his methadone shots. "When these post-op drugs wear off I'm gonna go over and strangle the bastard" muttered Gaz. "I think you should," I said supportively. "No one will miss him."
Then Jorge the nurse from El Salvador came over and caught me sneaking chocolate to Gary. "Hola! Is good for the heart." That's the kind of health care we want!
A bit later the ward rounds nurses popped in to discover me with my head under the bedclothes having a good look at Gary's bits and exclaiming "Wow! It's so much smaller!" which got some raised eyebrows. Gaz was desperate to get out, so I said, "When the nurse comes around again to check on you, just lie and tell them you feel great. Also try to stop drooling." It didn't work on the wily, steely-eyed public hospital nurses however and so I went home alone to our beachside apartment to gloat over my shopping mall purchases.
Perth is cold, windy and raining buckets. We have no interest in sightseeing, it's just like any big city and we feel shellshocked by the traffic. I miss the bush camp! It feels all closed in and too busy here. But I went out to a terrific native plant nursery on the other side of Perth and bought some wonderful plants, and stocked up on underwear & bras at Kmart. I also got Gary a remote control toy helicopter,
which he is probably going to drive me crazy with over the next two weeks...
No comments:
Post a Comment