Saturday, 11 August 2012

Smash This, Feed That

Baby roo is doing fine so far (fingers crossed), I don't have photos yet as I've been out all day at firies and don't want to freak her out using the flash on the camera. She ventured out of her pouch and sat on the sofa with us for a few minutes, then hopped down the front of my shirt to go to sleep! I've made her a pouch out of my daypack so that I can wear it and teach her to hop in and out like she would normally. Gary cracked up watching me play roo mum.

We're actually not sure if it's a male or female, as she just has a cloaca and no visible testicles which wouldn't appear until later, so no idea. We give her a milk feed every four hours, and hang a bunch of grass for her to eat in the pouch, then encourage her to get out of the pouch and hop around for a few minutes a few times a day. After each feed I have to use a soft tissue to stimulate her cloaca and get her to wee and poo (mum roo would lick it, we're not taking our parenting simulation that far!).

So it was a bizarre day, smashing car windscreens out and learning how to use the hydraulic cutters and spreaders ("jaws of life") to get casualties out of cars, then coming home to gently tend to little roo. Gary is feeling much better and a couple of his mates have been round to cheer him up & encourage him to not be a macho fool & go to the doctor tomorrow.

The warm weather has brought out the mice and insects; Smokey and I have been very busy in our respective roles as vermin police. There are lizards everywhere in the house, but that's a good thing - get munching on those bugs, lizards! Just stay out of the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment