Sunday, 19 February 2012

Build It, And They Will Come

Well the fence and pond are sort of nearly done and BIRDS are moving in! Peter, you would just love it. I now have a resident mudlark who is virtually tame, and these bright yellow/green honeyeaters are now braving the pond regularly. Smokey just snoozes, chillin'; as a qualified Zen Master he has risen above his lower cortex, his mind on greater things than hunting birds. He has the mouse problem under control and can now go back to sleeping, I mean contemplating the meaning of the universe, 27 hours a day.

Whenever I find a frog in the house (like, every five minutes) I put it in the pond. "Stay!" "Glurp." Ethel and Henrietta race and leap around the yard catching the locusts & beetles; it is really interesting to see what they do every time I make a change or add something to their playground. They come up to watch what I'm doing and can't wait to poke around at it. Their favourite thing is when I dig a hole; they scratch it up, pick out any insects, then sit in it making happy little noises. I did some googling; Ethel is an Araucana, of South American heritage (hence the flamboyant coloured eggs) and Henrietta is a plain ol' Brown Hen.

We have HUUUUGE road trains going through town today - each one carrying a single monster ginormous part for the big mining dump trucks. It looks like it takes about six road trains to carry all the parts for one truck; each part is bigger than my house! I had to pull over on my way back from the tip today to let them pass; Honey and Boy were both sitting on the bus console with their tongues hanging out, so it must have looked ridiculous - I got lots of shaking heads & amused looks.

Woke up this morning with Boy snuffling & snoring in my face, one paw over my neck, Honey wedged against the back of my knees, and Smokey with his head wedged against my armpit, purring. The bedroom looks like a zoo enclosure, Gary is going to have a FIT. Although after a week out on the mining tracks & living in the bush he'll be as rank as a camel so maybe he won't notice. How long before the chooks are in the bed as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment