Wednesday, 29 February 2012

Kangaroo Caves

This morning's exploring was a drive down the Wiluna/Kalgoorlie track in the balmy thirty degree early morning sun. About 20 km out of Meeka I spotted some interesting cliffs a km or so off the road to the north, so off we went on foot through the mulga scrub. You could get lost and die in there in about five miuntes - there's no point of reference once you're in it. So I followed washouts where I had a relatively clear view of the cliffs up ahead. If I ever do die in the bush or a pub brawl or shark attack or something, just remember I was having an awesome time! Anyway, it's much safer than wearing deadly foot-catching pyjamas or walking across the floor of a day care centre where you could easily break a leg on some cushions.

The cliffs were a granite breakaway winding through the bush - beautiful! Full of rain-eroded caves where kangaroos and bigurdas have been sleeping. Bigurdas are a small, bluey-grey kangaroo. I didn't find any aboriginal art, although it's exactly the kind of place you'd see it (if they weren't too busy throwing empty cans of Emu bitter around, which thank goodness were not in evidence at this site, for a change). I saw two red does hopping away, and we came across a huge flock of hundreds of finches. No snakes thank god (the Rainbow Serpent is my friend and keeps them away). But we saw plenty of bungarra holes - the big ones could snatch Honey, so I yell at the dogs when I see the silly things sticking their noses in.

After a long ramble I took a sighting off the top of the ridge to relocate the bus (painting it bright red was a great idea), but I could have just followed the dogs, who headed straight back by scent. Pleased to discover that no passing Wiluna mob had stripped the bus in my absence, we headed back to town with a quick stop at the tip (some excellent pallets & a sackful of handy mining drill sample bags) & the post office. Boy is obsessed with the bus now and won't get out; he just wants to go cruising!

Following washouts towards the ridge




Looking northwest



The big dark area is the granite outcrop; I was at the bit
closest to the road

No comments:

Post a Comment