Saturday, 4 February 2012

A Trip To The Tip

Just a typical day in Meeka - comfort a sobbing wife at work ("They're all the same love", "Chin up darl, he'll come to his senses when 'e gets hungry"), remove a small mulga snake from Gordon's room, discover dogs have raided rubbish bin at home & have dragged bits of it into the bed as snacks, drink 7 litres of water to replace trail of sweat I have left in my path, hang Gary's work clothes up to dry, make dentist appointment for his front teeth, then it's time to knock off and go to the tip.

Saturday is a good day for the tip as you get to see many of your mates there & catch up on gossip while sharing discoveries amongst the flies & smoke. I ran into Steve, who works at the loony section of the hospital across from the hostel & also used to drive around in an old Mazda bus. He helped me uncover some excellent old storage racks, then Gubby and some others came along & eyed our finds rather jealously. "Hands off that pallet mate!" "Remember when Damien found that Xbox 360?" Beady eyes scour the chaos, yearning for that legendary find - a working motor, maybe a not-too-ravaged stack of miner porn. I alertly spotted an intact milk crate and beat the others to it. Find Of The Day was a circular corrugated iron chook pen, complete with a little door hatch!

Time to go to Paddy's and round up my googling debts & have a beer. Gary gets back from Peak Hill tomorrow. I hope his spine hasn't collapsed from a week of being hurled around in the loader, because I have a big list of Bloke Things for him to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment