Today I discovered the spectacular little reef-fringed lagoon called "The Aquarium" at Quobba - grey skies and strong winds meant I just got a tantalising taste but gosh it's amazing. Bazillions of fish, all very friendly. Took the dirt track further on towards Gnaraloo Station but got bored after fifty km of scrub terrain and stopped by a cliff view to watch heaps of humpback whales breaching & slapping the water with their enormous tails.
Quobba (coinverted from the Latin "quo wobba?" meaning "who bumped the table?") is about 80 km northwest of Cahnaaaahhhvin; you drive across the vast salt plains of Lake Macleod to get there. When the stupid windy season stops (any minute now would be great guys) I will be going to Quobba a lot. There are 2 station/homesteads to camp at, being Quobba & Gnaraloo, both close to the water. If being jammed directly in contact with your neighbour's caravan is your thing, there's beach camping down past the Blowholes. Apparently in December it gets really hot, the water "glasses off" and there's no one there - sounds perfect.
Tomorrow I'm off north to Nanutarra, then inland to Tom Price, cutting through Karijini National Park, then up the mine access road to Hope Downs to pick up Ian, then off camping at Weeli Wolli, Karijini (waterholes to swim in!) and maybe some boat fishing at Port Hedland. Honey & Smokey have to stay at the luxurious kennels at the local vet hospital - it's 45 Celsius up there at the moment plus we're going into national parks so no pets apart from Ian. I will be out of phone range a lot but have a CB radio in the 4WD ("breaker breaker Big Truck this heyere's City Idiot catchin' you all on the flyby ummm, help"); the roads I am taking are bursting with grey nomads etc so there is no need to worry about anything other than me collecting more men along the way.
 |
| Spawning beach huts creep timidly towards the raging seas of Quobba |
 |
| The Aquarium at Quobba, "Where Fish Meet the Sea" |
 |
| Cliffs, whales, etc |
 |
| Typical coastline north of Carnarvon all the way to Ningaloo Reef |
 |
My faithful travelling companion, unimpressed by the Blow Holes
|
No comments:
Post a Comment