Monday, 3 October 2011

Trailer Park TimeSavers

The spreadsheets are running hot and a hat has been emergency-delivered to the airport; pickle jars were sourced, contract lawyers found, and a trailer decluttered. TimeSavers rides again! But this time we're working for goods & services in our new cash-free trailer park economy. Sue and Suzanne were making tomato relish and I traded jam jars for a bottle of the morning's product. Tomorrow I'm going to go bush tomato hunting & make a big batch of bolognaise in the revamped camp kitchen that I've set up in Ian's annexe & see what I can trade it for.

Some of the mining camp guys were having trouble calculating all their rates & loadings on the new contract, so I quickly set up a spreadsheet so we could see how many thousands of dollars they're making a week, which they found wildly exciting until I read out the income tax bracketing rates (lots of swearing and bad words). Keep workin' fellas! The government needs your money!

I'm keen to go and visit the mine site some time, it sounds amazing. The health & safety rules are very demanding, to the point where it sounds like they spend more time checking to see if people are safe to work rather than doing any actual work. They have frequent hydration tests by the nurse and if they don't meet the safety levels they have to sit in the first aid station drinking every half hour then go off and lie down for two hours. Then there are the regular alcohol/drug urine tests (because it's WA, I assume this means they are checking that everyone is drinking enough beer). The workers also do frequent "courses", some of them only half an hour long, to get "ticketed" (formally approved) to perform certain tasks such as using a hammer etc. So I'm not sure if anyone is actually doing any mining. They're making about $200,000 per year (including safety naps).

No comments:

Post a Comment