More adventure notes to come, but Waggin' Trail fans are asking, "Who is this Ian?" and "WTF??", so here is a quick summary:
Ian is delightfully chivalrous and a great cook, a down to earth guy who's smart, gentle and caring, also a bloody cheeky bugger. I think I mentioned that like many aboriginal guys he's had a hard life (yes those are old prison & biker tattoos, aieeeeeeee don't ask), but he's worked hard to battle his way out of the poverty and abuse; he carries an air of strength and purpose. He's got about seven hundred qualifications for stuff like fire fighting, OHS, truck & machinery ops & god knows what else and is full of outback and aboriginal bush lore.
We have a great time together, sharing an obsession with awful country & western music and similar interests in going exploring, camping and all that stuff; he's easy company and I like him a lot. Ian loves cooking & is always plonking something tasty in front of me which he's magically whipped up on the barbecue or fire; my job is dishes, laundry, internet research and forgetting the shovel. I am trying to teach him that he doesn't have to pay for everything!
His ten year old son was killed in an awful accident some years ago and the grief is etched on his face; I don't know how he managed to keep going and have enormous admiration for him. As a mixed race couple we are a bit unusual & get a few curious looks around town. He's really naughty and starts up this hilariously politically incorrect game if he thinks I'm being bossy, pretending to be a lowly humble "black fella" station hand:
A: Pass me that frying pan.
I: Yes missus. Anything else you want me to do missus?
A: Stop that!
I: Sorry missus. You sure boss man won't be home early missus?
A: Oh my god don't call me missus!
I: Can I have me gold coin before I go back to sleep in the shed missus?
A: That's appalling! This is so wrong!
I: Yes missus, sorry missus.
He keeps going until I'm nearly wetting my pants laughing, we have lots of fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment