Friday, 22 July 2011

WoorrarraarroooraarWhat?

It's pronounced "Woorra" or something and is a very remote station / camping area off the road to Coral Bay. Stopping at the "office" shack amid a random motley collection of old sheds, abandoned trailers and buses we pay a camp fee to Harry who is about 85 years old and happily into his second case of beer. Duncan knows one of the guys there and apparently they want someone to quote on some plumbing work, but all we can find are slightly creepy very old people who seem to be living off the grid in the sheds making limp-looking macrame things.

I manage to get the bus over some very sandy rough tracks to a beautiful clifftop spot where there are no people for miles, yay! All along the shore are huge manta rays, dozens of them, slowly trawling along feeding on plankton. We set the swag up outside and sleep under the stars. There are heaps of birds - little zebra finches, wedgetail eagles. Possibly because of all the chocolate bavarian, we wake up at three am with an inexplicable craving for hamburgers, which Duncan cooks up.

So we finish the day at Coral Bay, where we've been fishing & snorkelling off the jetty. Duncan caught three gold spotted trevally which he's filleting as I write, so it'll be fish feast in the motel room tonight! He was so excited he could barely get comprehensible sentences out and has not stopped talking about the fish for approximately three and a half hours now. He tends to overreact wildly to things, which is extremely entertaining. For example, this is a typical morning conversation:

A:  Darling have you seen my towel?
D:  Oh my god!
A:  What?
D:  I knew this would happen! You're leaving me!
A:  What? What are you talking about?
D:  You're packing up your stuff! Oh my god!
A:  Jesus christ!
D:  How can you leave! You're the best thing that ever happened to me!
A:  No one's leaving, I'm just looking for my towel! Holy cow!
D:  I love you darling you can't just leave me!
A:  Duncan!
D:  I'll be alone!
A:  Duncan! I'm right here! No one's leaving!
D:  Oh thank god! (goes back to sleep)

Now he's talking to the actual fish, I better go and drag him away from the filleting table.

Duncan vs. surf at Woorrarroorraawhateveritis

Start of the Ningaloo reef - our camping spot

He'd sleep with them in the bed if he could

Fish guts 'n' beer - man heaven

No comments:

Post a Comment