Oh gosh it just gets better and better. Simon, another Melbournian, tells me there are heaps of turtles at the beach just across from the campground, so I head off to explore with the bus & pets. At a huge sand dune, we come out on to the beach and there are turtles up on the sand, turtles fooling around in the water, turtles everywhere you look! The first one I come to looks like it's dead, and of course I have to poke at it to see what it feels like, and it opens its eyes. Oops! Sorry Ms. Turtle! She's just very very tired and having a sleep. Soon other tourists arrive and everyone is pouring water on it and trying to "save" it.
They're all gathering in readiness for nesting at the full moon (the turtles, not the tourists), and there are dozens and dozens of them - they're big, too, about the size of a large esky. Gradually it dawns on us that perhaps we should just leave them alone, so I head off to go find internet reception at Bundegi Beach.
At the campground, Mr. Emu spots me with a sandwich in my hand and comes right over going "gloong...gloong..." ("give me that sandwich or I will eviscerate you with my velociraptor claw feet"), and I have to grab him by the throat Kenny-style to keep him from snatching it. "Gloong!" "Yeah, gloong to you too, you're not getting my sandwich!" He goes and ravages the paint tins on my table instead. The two little chicks are the cutest things. Look out for the bus tyres!
 |
| Mr. Emu and his 2 chicks launching sandwich assault |
 |
| Dead, or just sleeping? A quick poke with a sharp stick will tell |
 |
| Alert turtle races for the safety of the ocean at 0.025 km/hr |
 |
| Three hours later - nearly there! |
 |
| Le tankini - le hot |
 |
| Because there's just not much space out here |
 |
| Honey not climbing sand dune |
 |
| Turtle desperately trying to sleep |
 |
| Contemplating the timeless expanse of ocean - or having a poo |
 |
| It's mine and I'm proud of it |
No comments:
Post a Comment