Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Two Legs Good, Eight Legs EEEEEEEEE

The seemingly impressive locust plague at Coral Bay was merely a playful warm-up for the main event, which is GIANT FREAKIN' GRASSHOPPERS. They look like special effects prehistoric sabre-tooth grasshoppers; I found one gnawing on one of the bus wheels this morning. If it got caught in your hair it would just tear your head off. I tried to shoo one out of the kitchen area this morning and it just chuckled in a demonic way before flying off with a small poodle from next door.

I am getting used to the flies, which sit in the corners of your eyes, sucking the juice out & ignoring any swatting; you just pluck them out with your fingers, squash them and oh god it's so gross. On the plus side, there are great little birds who walk around the camp site & practically get in the bus. I haven't seen them today so maybe the grasshopper got them.

It was cold today - only 24 degrees; was almost forced to put shoes on. Everyone in the caravan park has been stopping by at regular intervals to check on the painting progress; I'll post photos tomorrow. There are lots of permanent travellers here, all doing different jobs ranging from nursing, teaching, supermarket checkout, carpentry, you name it. Heaps of dogs. Smokey and Black Cat have agreed that sites 4 and 5 are Smokey's, while Black Cat gets the ablution block. Another great day of not doing tax paperwork again.

No comments:

Post a Comment