Saturday, 14 May 2011

Oh Thank God

Friday May 13

Tow truck on its way; it's $1000 but after days of frigging endless straight road & grey skies you would pay anything to have someone drive while you try to knock yourself out with whatever non-prescription drugs are in the bottom of the toiletry bag. While I'm waiting I go look at the famous Skylab debris which is great. Adam, the Indonesian tow truck driver, is lovely and we pass the time listening to his only CD, Michael Buble's Greatest Hits. He tells me how the Nullarbor is notorious for breakdowns. Many people end up camped out by their vehicles for days waiting for parts - I'm lucky.

Just as Michael Buble starts "When a Man Loves a Woman" for the third time, we reach Norseman, a small gold mining town past its use-by date at the western end of the Nullarbor. Motorhomers weeping with gratitude are staggering out of their RV's and kissing the $1.45 a litre price display.


No comments:

Post a Comment