So now Sean's dogs are slathering out the truck window at Honey, Smokey is sitting in the corridor of the garage office cleaning himself, I'm set up on the footpath with my camping table & laptop, various characters are wandering in & out patching up their vehicles while Wayne curses and groans from inside my bus, when the local animal ranger turns up to catch a tiny stray chihuahua which has just run past us.
No one has been able to get near the chihuahua for weeks; it's starving and desperate, and Wayne's been leaving food out for it. Soon all the garage blokes are trying to surround the dog, tempting it with snacks, while the ranger tries to throw a net over it, with no success. They give up.
Now, I'm not clear on how this all happened, but a few hours later the chihuahua is named "Sweetie" and is tucked up in bed with me & Honey, her tummy full, pressed up against me & sighing deeply as she finally stops trembling & falls asleep.
I lie there thinking that sometimes the best parts of a journey are when things go wrong.

No comments:
Post a Comment