Lots of little creeks criss-cross the town and run across the streets; they're all running now and could turn into rivers - the rain is supposed to continue for a couple of days. No one will be able to go off the bitumen now for a week - the iron-hard red dirt turns to deep bogging slush with even just a little rain. At least Gary hasn't started out on the station tracks yet - otherwise he'd be stuck out there with just half a sandwich and no Star Trek.
Not a single road train for hours - are we cut off from civilisation? It's exciting when Murchison Freight turns up - I always get Noel a cold Coke or ginger beer and he tells us any news from down the highway about fires, floods, road closures, dead animals and rollovers.
Tiny frogs are EVERYWHERE. They're croaking in the Pooool, coming up through the drains, leaping out of the washing machine. I keep rescuing them and putting them outside so that they can come back in again. When I finish flame-throwing the filthy Paddy's Flat laundry & rooms (mouse plague, indescribable) I'll take some photos.
No comments:
Post a Comment