Friday, 20 January 2012

Trapped!

HUGE thunder & lightning storm last night. Rain like you can't imagine, sheeting down for hours. All the animals (except the chooks) ended up in bed with me, totally pathetic. I sat out on the back verandah with the chooks for a while to watch. The main street flooded and the yard was a pond. The sky was lit up with lightning in all directions, just incredible. This morning on my dog walk the main creek was overflowing and Boy had a good swim, crashing about in the weeds and bushes & getting filthy.

There have been no road trains through town today, so I suspect we're cut off. A few prospectors with their caravans have come back into town and there are heaps of road closures listed on the main roads website because of flash flooding. Gary has been up at the Sandfire mine site near Doolgunna, which is about 50 km off the highway on dirt tracks, so I reckon he's probably stuck there for a few days now! It's out of phone range so I have no way of knowing, but hopefully gossip will filter in from the mine guys.

Fortunately I'm not cut off from the shops yet, but there could be walls of water roaring in from the west at any minute. Where the hell did I put the inflatable boat..?

No comments:

Post a Comment