Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Your Stodge Is Served

It's tropical. Mornings start off with clear blue skies, then the humidity builds up to about sixty thousand per cent until your clothes are soaked through and clinging to every uncomfortable crevice of your oozing slimy body. Spectacular black thunderheads soar up overhead, then it dumps rain for half an hour, but you don't notice because you're so sweaty that it feels like you're standing in a shower anyway.

Yesterday we had a big intense thunder & lightning storm right over the middle of town - a bolt of lightning took out the transformer box near my house and our section of town lost power. Darcy from the BP station got out and fixed it around midnight. Honey was at the aged care hostel with me and panicked at the thunder; before I knew it, she'd disappeared. Turned up at Patreen's house, so Damien took her home, where poor Gary was wrestling with Boy who keeps jumping the fence to go look for me. Then Honey peed on the bed (jealous of Gary), Boy slipped his collar, Gary got grumpy and Nita & Greta at the hostel started playing up, Gordon was complaining about something, Raelene was late, and I was tempted to break out the S4 prescription drugs and load up everyone's afternoon tea ("Sleepy time folks!") or just take a bunch myself ("Don't call me, I'm drooling").

Three tiny little aboriginal girls came by the hostel to visit Greta & Nita and we talked about how many dead snakes everyone had ever seen, plus their highlights of last weekend's lizard feast in Wiluna. I whisked them out so I could serve up the hospital dinner, which was so bad that we all just stared at it on the table and I said, "Free chocolate biscuit to the first person to identify todays' Mystery Meat" which got Gordon laughing & coughing (oops). We've had a run of real stodge from the hospital kitchen lately; maybe the kids can bring us some roadkill lizard, it would at least taste of something.

No comments:

Post a Comment