Monday, 2 January 2012

It's Soooooo Hotttttt

High 30's and low 40's every day. Imagine one of those Melbourne heat waves, except it goes on for EVER. Today was so filthy humid we gave up around midday and just collapsed in the cool room after helping Ashley put in my big-ass air con units (still need the electrician to come & wire them in). The dogs can barely move. I take them for walks early in the morning but even then we only manage half a km or so before they're buggered in the heat. I am still trying to find Smokey's secret air-conditioned underground clubhouse; he's the only one who seems fine in the heat.

Poor Gary's neck is out and he has tinnitus; I kindly offered to take him out back and shoot him but it's too hot so he's just lying down moaning. Cam came round and re-welded the back gate and set fire to the grass along the fence. Good thing I had the fire brigade right handy!

Waiting for the freight run to start up again so that my Bunnings pallet can come up. We are not going to Geraldton after all - Chris at Paddy's Flat wanted Gary to hunt up a monster sound system for the mess, and my internet googling skills saved the day; we found one online. Just as well, it's too hot to drive all day, even with the air con going.

I have a job! Chris has hired me to re-organise the linen, room fittings and general cleaning schedule at Paddy's for the mining units. I start on Thursday, set my own hours, cash in hand, all good. He's such a crusty old bastard and started growling at me in "Sarge" mode about the bus, to our amusement - "Yer not bringing that...that...red THING anywhere near me mess girlie! Christ I feel ashamed jest lookin' at it."  So when he offered me the job I asked him innocently where he'd like me to park the bus and he nearly went apoplectic; Gary was in stitches. When Chris is really het up about the bus it goes from "red" to "pink" (as in, "pinko commies"). I said I was going to put a big sign on it saying "Proudly Sponsored By Paddy's Flat" and he growled about getting the anti-aircraft mortar out (he probably actually has one).

Oh it's too hot. Poooool. Cool room. If only we could take enough Valium to knock us out until March.

No comments:

Post a Comment