Monday, 15 August 2011

La Dolce Vita

Ominously calm at the roadhouse for the past couple of days! New Guy arrived last night and guess what? It's the lovely young bloke who changed my tyre for me waaaayyyy back on the Nullarbor at Cocklebiddy Roadhouse. Wazza. So he's here now as our part time cook / general hand / spare mechanical guy.

Duncan is off at Woorroowa doing some emergency plumbing at the station, so depending on how that job goes I will probably meet him up at Coral Bay for some fishin' & snorkeling. I could use a break from my exhausting schedule of doing two hours work a day...

Each day is kind of the same and it's very pleasant. I continue to not miss having a mortgage, house, car, debts, credit cards, job, responsibilities, call sheets, bills, traffic or TV. Instead there are little highlights such as tiny honeyeater birds fluttering and perching at the tent entrance (although we have now moved into a room), a sunrise walk with Honey and Smokey in the bush most mornings, and sitting watching the sunset.

I'm up usually just before dawn, and after a walk I head into the kitchen for coffee & breakfast. A couple of hours checking the stock market, folding any motel laundry from the night before, stocking the cleaning kit and updating the job list on the chalk board for Duncan (my invention). Then more coffee with Duncan & by then most of the room guests have checked out and I swing into Cleaning Lady action, accompanied by Honey and Smokey. I set my own schedule and break the morning up with stock market checks, having a laugh with the kitchen crew & Duncan, maybe a game or two of Nanosaur.

I'm done by midday - the rest of the afternoon is bus painting, reading, snoozing, going to the tip, and chucking loads of motel laundry through the system. If it's busy in the kitchen I go in and wash dishes & help direct tourists to their caravan sites. We all work seven days a week for three or four weeks straight then have a week or so off after bailing the boss up for our cash.

It's FANTASTIC!

No comments:

Post a Comment