Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Running Away Tips

From the many phone calls I get from friends & workers I know that quite a few of you are thinking about taking up the motorhome lifestyle, so here are a few (serious, for a change) tips:

•  Make your motorhome self-sufficient with solar power and plenty of house batteries, otherwise you will be stuck with expensive caravan parks and jammed into tiny parking spaces
• You can never carry enough water; having plenty of big-capacity tanks also means freedom from caravan parks
• You will probably never use a built-in shower; you can get showers at van parks, roadhouses, tourist welcome centres etc
• Get the best tyres possible and carry at least 2 spares; you can always find a Duncan who can fit a tyre to your rim for you
• Get a vehicle that's easy to get parts for, and carry spare crap like fuel filters, starter motor etc (small things that wear out), plus fuses and all that jazz
• There are tons of places where you can camp or overnight for free
• Yes a portapotty or cassette toilet is the go
• Stash spare water bottles & jerries anywhere you have free space, and carry 20 litres of fuel as well

I've got a "mini hardware store" of tools, screws, hooks, rope, tape, wire & god knows what else and it all comes in handy. I have an inverter in the bus which I use to charge up any power tools & run the computer and so on.

Any cool expensive gadgets you can't help buying at the caravan shop will get thrown out on your first week on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment