Tuesday, 2 August 2011

Le Beer, Le Duncan

Incredibly, Duncan made it back from Geraldton in one day despite drinking nearly half a case of beer (in WA terms, this is called "being sober"). And no, he is not allowed to have me in a vehicle with him when he's drinking!

He had, in his words, "a great Guy Day! I went to the tyre shop! Oh my god! Look at this new pump! I looked at knives! I've got all the house building materials darling! But maybe we should just live here! I can't wait to go rooing with you! Oh my god I am loving you so much right now! What are you doing! You have to look at this new pump! I'm bringing it to bed with me! You should have seen the tyre shop! (he's obsessed with tyres) I bought a Ford 31 inch multi-ply 475! I bought you three kilos of apples! Damn that Charles! He's put a human element on French people! I don't want to kill them anymore!"

Once everyone within 300 metres was wide awake ("I have a voice that can carry through concrete!") he finally went to sleep with Smokey sitting on him.

There is never a dull moment with Duncan. If he was a kid now, he'd be diagnosed with ADHD and drugged to the eyeballs to make him "fit in" quietly. His brain is running at about a thousand miles an hour and he has a truly astonishing ability to understand, design & fix anything mechanical or structural. He also reckons he's been reincarnated several times over the past 900 years and will be an astrophysicist in his "next life". In this life, he dies on October 17 at the age of 78, of a heart attack. He says he has very clear memories of being a fighter pilot, and also a Roman soldier. It's pretty out there! Who knows. But it's all part of who he is and I know it's really important to him that he can talk to me about it without me calmly luring him into the cool room, locking the door and calling the men in white suits.

The other remarkable thing he's done lately is declare bankruptcy, which sounds terrible but I now think that pretty much everyone should do it in protest against the government & tax office! As Duncan likes to say, "I'm the richest man in Australia! I've got no debt and two grand cash in my pocket!". He's probably right. It's the old story of small business - the taxes, GST and government admin costs just keep piling up until you have no cash flow and end up in debt to keep it all going. So he did it more in protest than out of need, and once I found out how little it really affects a person to go bankrupt here it seemed like a perfectly reasonable thing to do & I commend him for it.

Since I met him he's been on a mission to "make up for anything your other boyfriends did that hurt you", which cracks me up and makes me feel unbelievably wonderful at the same time. He's up front about what he sees as his "faults"; I tell him I love him the way he is and if he needs to go on a bender or whatever, that's his choice as long as it doesn't involve me (unless I'm in the mood for going on a bender myself!).

Oh oh - ladies toilet emergency! They're out of paper! Old ladies are freaking out! Back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment