Holy cow, we are sort of right in the path of Cyclone Lua! It will hit the Pilbara coast tomorrow but they predict that its southern edge will affect us all the way down here - Meekatharra was included in the ABC weather warning just now, mainly for high winds and flood warnings. Thank god I did the shopping today! They've just closed most of the coastal highways plus the inland highways around Newman, and are predicting winds of up to 230 km/hr in the eye of the cyclone!! Jesus god! That's the coast of course, not us, but I guess we'll be seeing some pretty wild weather here as a result.
All the northwest mines have shut down and it sounds like everyone's expecting a pretty massive weather event - the flood warnings extend all the way in and down to places like Sandfire which are really close. If it starts getting really crazy I'm putting the chooks in the house, we can all hide in the bed (the dogs go to pieces when it's stormy). Gary and I can clutch a chicken each as we listen to the wind & floods ravaging the town.
Smokey will just sit and gaze at it from the kitchen bench, contemplating bigger things in other dimensions.
No comments:
Post a Comment