Saturday, 3 March 2012

Where Pam?

So just to rehash, for about a month I've had the phrase "Where Pam?" ricocheting around in my brain like a loose cannon ready to blow every remaining non-beer affected synapse into a shrieking laughing abyss of cackling madness. This is because every time I do the meals on wheels run, at least one of the aboriginal clients randomly asks me "Where Pam?". Then they'll turn to others in the yard or the street and soon everyone is asking each other, "Where Pam?". Often if I have a client in the car, they'll suddenly ask me to pull over next to someone; then they call out the window. "Hey, where Pam?"

No one ever has an answer, and I've never been able to get it out of them who exactly Pam is, or why everyone wants to know where she is, and why we can't find her. So I drive around in the roastingly hot little white van muttering to myself, "Where Pam? Where Pam?". Is it a code? I ask myself. Is it some kind of aboriginal greeting, is it not Pam but some other word and I'm not hearing it right? It pops into my mind at night and trots along in my brain over and over while I'm working, walking, doing the dishes. Where Pam Where Pam Where Pam.

So a few days ago I was doing my usual run & saying Where Pam Where Pam Where Pam to myself, and as I was carrying a meal into the yard at the Wingo's house I saw Elaine sitting on a daybed on the verandah. Being in a contrary frame of  mind I could not help myself:

A: Hi Elaine! Where Pam?
E:  She inside.

You could have knocked me over with a feather. I knocked on the front door and lo and behold, there Pam.

No comments:

Post a Comment