I glanced out the front door this morning as I was tidying up and saw a raggle taggle mob of aboriginal kids coming down the street carrying big orange rubbish bags and picking up trash from the footpaths! A young aboriginal woman was with them. They all had latex gloves on and were doing a great job. I raced to the freezer and grabbed a bag of freezie pops I had stashed and took them out to the kids. "It's really great to see you guys doing such a good job!" "Thanks miss!" I thanked the woman and told her how fantastic it was to see the kids doing something positive. They'll probably be back after dark to set fire to stuff, but at least it's a start.
In other riveting news, the supermarket started to run out of essential supplies like beer, smokes and milk due to a truck rollover out of Cue. I smugly congratulated myself for maintaining a freezer supply of pizzas & shelves full of baked beans. The town bread comes from the historic bakery across the road behind the Meeka Hotel, so that's one thing we can usually rely on.
The feudin' between the Tasmanians and The Evil She-Witch Of Satan's Horde has escalated with apprehended violence orders flying in all directions, claims of stranglings in the supermarket aisles, and possibly an impending visit from two current affairs TV programs who love this sort of juicy trash.
Our resident lunatic, Crazy Motherfucker, decided that Boy was his dog and started a ruckus outside my fence the other night; Gary came out and said Boy had come from Melbourne last year & calmed the guy down. Apparently CM is reknowned in town for being craaaaaazy and doing craaaaaazy stuff; now when he sees us he's all smiles and waves and even helped me put my shopping trolley away one afternoon. It reminds me of my brother Cal's imaginary hostage scenario - "You! Who you staring at! Look at me when I'm talking to you! Why are you staring at me!"
Have been off line a bit due to internet being down (I like to think it's eagles chewing boredly through the tower cables). Gotta go! We're off to Cue.
No comments:
Post a Comment