Tuesday, 27 March 2012

A Dog And His Chickens

I hope I don't jinx myself here, but today we achieved a major milestone - Henrietta and Ethel walked right up to Boy, who was sleeping under the front porch. They clucked at him, he woke up, looked at them, then yawned and went back to sleep. No one got eaten. I still wouldn't trust him alone with them, but at the moment I have the chook security fences down while I rebuild things properly, and the hens are having a great old time exploring the whole property.

They're so tame now that they come and sleep next to me, or just wander over and hang around by my feet when I'm having a coffee break. Get chickens everyone! They are so curious about everything, and more entertaining than TV. On the verandah the other night Gary said, "Are these animals attached to you with an invisible bungy cord or something?" because all 5 of them were sitting next to me - Smokey, chooks, dogs - and whenever I got up they all started following me in a straggling entourage.

The funny thing is that Gary does the same thing too. God help me if I get alpacas.

No comments:

Post a Comment