Boy has now become virtually glued to my side and goes into a complete meltdown if he thinks I'm leaving him behind. He's turning out to be pretty damn smart, and he beats me every time I try to sneak out - he can't get into the bus fast enough, and in the mornings he barks at me and prances around to tell me to go get the bus started up. If I do manage to catch him & lock him up, he often manages to escape - and he can find me anywhere in town, I don't know how. The workers at the Commercial Hotel often come and sit out on the main street covered area before starting the lunch shift, and there is much hilarity, waving and pointing when they see Boy panting & dogging along up Main Street chasing the bus.
Sometimes I'll come out of the supermarket or the aged care hostel and find him sitting under the bus, waiting for me - he'll wait all day if he has to. Sometimes at home he gets in the bus and sits in there for hours, just in case we might be going somewhere, sometime. It's the first time he's had consistent affection, food and security and he's desperate not to lose it, the poor thing. I've only had him a month or so; I think he'll settle down eventually. I have nightmare visions of him trotting down the highway following me to Exmouth or Karijini.
Gary is still away doing mining tracks and probably won't be back until this weekend or even later - I miss my buddy! My separation anxiety has at least taken a productive turn - we're basically living in the kitchen and the small bedroom with crap stacked everywhere covered in plaster dust, and I can't wait to get the back section DONE. No more being sidetracked by chicken playgrounds, fires, Star Trek and town googling - I'm on a mission. My only diversion is listening to the road train truckies on my two way radio in the kitchen. "Rollin inta Meekatharra now mate yer got any idea if the BP's clear mate?" "Yer mate see yer at the pub mate." "Southbound, southbound, this is lead escort northbound with two lane oversize, let us know if yer can't get clear" "Pullin over now mate cheers" I usually get a wave or a toot from the Toll road train, he must do regular runs & recognises the bus.
Most mornings I get up about six or seven and take the dogs for a ramble, then stop at the tip for more wooden pallets, random treasures and rocks for the chicken pond. I did some googling and discovered that you can make fantastic sheds & structures out of packing pallets, so I'm stockpiling until I have enough to make an enclosed outdoor laundry / shower extension off the side verandah, plus an elevated sundeck / roadtrain viewing platform. The mine sites are constantly chucking out perfectly good building materials; it's better than Bunnings! Oh damn there goes my click-per-view sponsorship deal.
No comments:
Post a Comment