Wednesday, 21 March 2012

Don't Let The Team Down!

Well first Gary forgot which day my birthday was, then turned up on the day with a monster migraine, so there was a total failure of boyfriend-related birthday activity, resulting in major BF demerit points and being sent off the playing field on a suspension notice. Time out dude! I'll call him if & when I want to see him again. He's upset, but hey - our standards may be low here at Waggin' Trail headquarters, but they're not that low!

But I had a nice enough day anyhow, ending with a birthday beer at the fire & rescue social club. An aboriginal woman pastor has just joined the brigade! Her name is Tracy, will have to find out more about her story.

Meeka made it on the national radio news today as a result of our serious youth fume-sniffing problem. Yet another information awareness workshop was held for the aboriginal kids after 2 of them were arrested in a wild police chase last night (burglaries & running amok while off their heads on solvent fumes).

Another shift of meals on wheels today. Highlight quote of the day:  "Ma! The guinea pig's gonna have babies!" It was a day of animal encounters. Madeleine has a new chihuahua puppy and she brought it out so I could have a cuddle, it's the cutest little thing in the world. The guinea pigs live on the porch at Raylene's mum's house, god help them. The demented chihuahuas at the pensioners' hell flats have decided they like me and are starting to lurk with intent near the van, it is taking all my self control not to kidnap all these animals & take them home.

I had several new clients to whom I had to deliver food & medications. Directions to their houses included:  "The place with the green washtubs next to the satellite tower", "Sort of next to Mabel's place, where the wrecked Cortina is" and "Drive around Oliver Street and see if you can see their blue Falcon".
Now that I am fully accustomed to how Meekatharra works I located all of them, with some help from some small children and by shouting loudly around the pensioners' flats until the right person emerged from one of the filth pits.

I also successfully accosted an electrician to connect the second airconditioner, again by using time-honoured outback hunting methods to track down the out-of-town guys who turned out to be connecting some systems up at the fire station. Naturally I used the correct method of providing my address: "The place with the big red bus, near Ripper's workshop".

My next hunt will be locating Nathan the mechanic, which apparently involves going to Sherwood station go past the second water tank past the cattle yard turnoff where I should be able to find Harvey who may or may not be over with the pigs or down by the cool rooms and he should be able to tell me where Nathan is if they're not out at Doolgunna unless the Wiluna road is still closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment