A quiet weekend - only a few screaming drunks, no rocks thrown at the dogs, and no one set fire to the front yard (although they did set fire to Barry's, at least he won't have to mow the lawn now). I've plastered & painted the back rooms, hallway and floors, built a walk-in dressing room which also features a lovely day bed made from a stack of wooden pallets and my swag (doubles as the dog bed now), re-grouted the bathroom and gutted the revolting linen cupboard (the last cockroach haven). Also building a TV & bookshelf for the new bedroom out of wooden pallets. There is nothing that cannot be built with wooden pallets!
Everything is painted white or sanded & varnished for that rustic aged back outback kind of look. I'll post photos if I regain enough strength to lift the compact camera with my paint-encrusted hands. Maybe if I eat something besides nuts, cheese and tinned beetroot...
Now, some of you are probably asking "Yeah, but what about the camels?" Well, there's a five day expedition in April from Beltana Station (north of the Flinders Ranges in SA), and they also do camel training. One of the young women who did their course got her own camels and did a huge trek out of Wiluna. I think I might treat myself to a safari out of Beltana or possibly Coolgardie...
I am still keen to spot the famous Meekatharra Camel Man, who allegedly comes through town from time to time. The thing is, will the shire council let me keep a couple of camels in the back yard? Then there's the problem of the wretched kids chucking rocks at them. Not to mention it will be very cramped in the bus, even with small camels. Gary will have to follow behind on one of his seven motorcycles and sleep on the roof (that's if he hasn't been kidnapped by an amorous geologist or eaten by a bungarra, he's still AWOL in the bush).
Obviously the other issue is that I will not be able to stop myself from letting the camels in the house. Apparently they don't shed hair, which is more than I can say for the filthy bed-defiling dogs. But the most important thing, of course, is coming up with a design for Smokey's camel-riding seat.
No comments:
Post a Comment